July 5, 2006

Torrential rains in Mumbai


For few days I left my blog untouched aloof in the midst of few intellectually brilliant thoughts. On reading other blogs , I thought why not include myself also in the race of sharing some bits of daily incidents.Why not share some of my past few days experience in this torrential rain.

It was similar to the last catastrophe of 26th july. ohhh ...still it shakes me with terror . At that time I was suffering with phalcipharium malaria. I know.... I know ...it sounds bit biological but what can I do , my doctor told me its amongst the fatal one. But however as with time wounds heel up similarly i recovered :) .
But thank god I am not ill this time . so I tried my full IIT capabilities and facilities ( net facility) to interpret ....ok ok atleast not interpret but understand the rains at my level best.


So it was my daily routine to check out religiously the progress of clouds and their erratic movements .I must say its the game of nature, neither scientists nor the intellectuals could explain natures next move. It was evident from the vanishing and again showing of the clouds at certain regions. However the crux of the story is that the cyclonic winds above the orissa region shifted and still shifting towards the western ghats hence resulting in heavy downpours in mumbai and suburban regions......

while I was sitting by my window and enjoying my roommade black tea , it was drizzling outside with heavy gust. Suddenly I heard a BANG .... it was not a bomb or a cannon, then what was it...I rushed to my friend’s room to get an idea what was going on. Then came to know that due to lightning a building collapsed in heeranandani ( heeranandani is a residential area near our IIT campus) . It was sad but what can we do, its in the hands of almighty god.

Andheri which is considered to be the heart of the city, struggles hard to survive in these rains. I went for my CAT common mock test . My examination center was in andheri in some abc college don’t remember the name. College was in itself evident of the struggle of the anarchists movements at the time of revolution of independence. Few more years and hopefully we wont see that building again because of its pathetic condition. Anyways I was talking about the effect of rain ...so when I came out with gloomy and screwed up face..... because of the data interpretation portion of the paper, suddenly noticed that students were gathered at the door steps ....it was a horrible scene may be too difficult to explain in words for a novice linguistic like me . Road was submerged into 3 feet muddy water which was flowing like a routine river trying to make its way out inbetween the thick canopy of concrete. I gathered courage and jumped into that gutter + rain + sewage + etc etc not going into details and composition of the water :((

Whole traffic and train lines were paralysed but hopefully BEST buses were trying their best to prove their names right ..:D so I took one mulund bus and by god’s grace got a window seat. It was shocking to see mumbai, the so called megacity in the world crying for help infront of the mother nature. Water level was so high that in few places water came almost inside the bus making hard for the bus to continue. On coming nearer to powai we were almost in some elevated area so water level was under control. Finally I reached IIT powai and took one autorikshaw for the hostel....

But I wont forget this dooms day when everything looked like under the hands of nature ..

1 comment:

Prashant said...

Good account of what rains are doing to Mumbai. I had a similar experience last year, on the legendry 26th of July. But things are much better this time, probably due to all those widening of rivers that was done after last year's experience.
Thank God the rains have finally taken a day off....